Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Girl, her pups, and a little regret.

This Morning I received a Message that one of my resent subjects has passed away from Cancer. Any time I hear of a client passing on, it makes me reflect for a bit. A few months ago I was asked to take a few "family pictures" for a girl and her Rhodesian Ridgebacks. My client had always wanted a few nice portraits of here and her pups.Her oldest pup Shahanna had just been diagnosed with cancer and she didn't have much time left. We made plans to meet the following Tuesday and shoot her family portraits. Now the extent of my canine photography has been some shots of my pup, Annie Leibovitz shot with the iPhone.
My tennis ball addicted American Water Spaniel


I woke up early, knowing how important this session was, packed the car with all my gear, and drove to the location we had planned to meet. I left the house with tons of confidence, with a goal of getting one or two images that would make my client pleased. After meeting with my client and the two pups, I really started to get nervous.... One pup full of energy and one starting to show the signs of illness. We shot 200 or so images......a few good, most not. I am please with a a dozen or so.

One of the things I enjoy about photography is that sometimes I get capture a moment that feels so genuine.... so real....

One of the other things that I love about photography, is the accidents that prove there must be a God.

Since this session, one of my good friends passed away, after being diagnosed with cancer.... I really wish I would have asked him to sit for a portrait. I have been kicking myself for weeks, digging through my hard drive to see if ever took his picture. I have not found one image. Why didn't I take the time to ask? Why was I afraid that he may say NO? How could a guy with a camera 24/7 not have taken a single photograph of one of the coolest dude he ever meet?

It has reminded me that I can not take one day for granted or one person, or one fantastic Dog for that matter. Life is full of opportunity's.... if we just take the time to slow down and see them.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the depth of your post Glenn, and the beauty of the pictures of the dogs.

    ReplyDelete